A second Bristol-based First Bus driver has died with coronavirus.
Operations director Ian Coyle confirmed the death of part-time driver Hussen Mudei.
He said: “Hussen, who joined the company in August 2017, had been furloughed on March 26 after being identified as at risk due to underlying health conditions.
“He was admitted to hospital on April 14 and sadly passed away the next day.
“The loss of a colleague will be felt by all at the Lawrence Hill depot, where Hussen worked, and across our wider business.
“Our deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family and friends at this extremely difficult time.”
Mr Coyle said: “This tragic news is a very real reminder of the threat posed by Covid-19 to all of us and the need to follow government guidance at all times.
“At First West of England we have robust protocols and resources in place to mitigate the spread of the virus across our business and services.
“This includes the provision of hand gel and gloves to our drivers and actively implementing social distancing both on our buses, by taping off seats, and in our depots.”
Earlier this week Unite, the union covering Bristol’s First employees, said the operator has introduced stringent safety measures in the city’s buses.
A total of 96 people have died with coronavirus in Bristol hospitals, according to NHS England’s update yesterday.
Bristol has 369 confirmed coronavirus cases following an increase of 15, Public Health England revealed yesterday.
It is likely the real figure is in the thousands because the Government is only testing certain patients and some NHS workers.
The Covid-19 death toll across the country has climbed to 12,958 after 761 more patients died.