A further coronavirus case and death have been confirmed in Bristol today (June 29).
There has now been 726 positive-lab tests for Covid-19 in our city following a rise of one.
Bristol still has a relatively low rate of patients contracting the virus, with just four people in the last week. And in the month of June, there have been 19 new cases so far.
While in North Somerset, there have been more new cases in June than anywhere else in the West of England.
According to Public Health England as of 4:02pm on Monday, the region has 492 cases after an increase of one. In the 29 days of June so far, there have been 42 new cases in North Somerset.
Bath and North East Somerset and South Gloucestershire have seen just a handful of new cases in the month of June. In B&NES the total stands at 238 – an increase of just five since the start of June.
In South Gloucestershire, a total of 406 people have tested positive for coronavirus, an increase of three this month so far.
One more death has been recorded by the University Hospitals Bristol & Weston NHS Trust, which runs Bristol Royal Infirmary and Weston General.
North Bristol Trust, which runs Southmead Hospital, has recorded 119 patients who have died of coronavirus since the start of the pandemic – and the most recent recorded death there occurred one week ago (June 22).
Across the UK, 43,575 people have died after contracting the virus following a rise of 25 today.
‘Worst is yet to come’
The figures come on the same day that the World Health Organization has warned the pandemic is far from over.
In the six months since the first cases were reported in Wuhan, China, more than 500,000 people have died and there’s been more than 10 million confirmed cases worldwide.
Want Bristol news straight to your inbox?
WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned, the “worst is yet to come” – adding that “with this kind of environment and conditions, we fear the worst”.
Despite progress, he said the pandemic was speeding up and the world would need even greater stores of resilience in the months ahead.
Dr Tedros told the WHO press conference: “Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world – and our lives – would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus.”