Oasis Academy Brightstowe, in Shirehampton, told all students to work from home yesterday (Tuesday, November 24).
The announcement follows weeks of rising cases at the school, based on Penpole Lane.
This has resulted in a number of teachers self-isolating, as well as children.
In a letter to parents, a spokesperson said: “Shirehampton, Avonmouth and Lawrence Weston are experiencing a high number of COVID-19 cases at the moment.
“This has led to our Brightstowe community having a surge of positive cases over the past seven days. Our COVID-19 measures mean that we have been able to identify close contacts of positive cases swiftly and that we have been able to take decisive action to control the spread of the virus in our community.
“Unfortunately, this decisive action has led to many of our teachers having to self isolate, meaning that we have had to close the school to some students due to staff shortages.”
The list below shows how long each year group has to work from home until:
- Y11 students have to isolate until December 2.
- Y10 student to isolate until December 1.
- Y9 to work from home until December 1.
- Y8 to isolate until November 27
- Y7 to isolate until November 27
Thousands of pupils are now isolating after positive tests at dozens of schools across the city.
You should book a Covid-19 test if your child has at least one of the following:
- A high temperature – This means if they feel hot to touch on the chest or back. You do not need to measure their temperature.
- A new continuous cough – This means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours. If your child usually has a cough, it may be worse than usual).
- A loss or change to their sense of smell or taste – They’ve noticed they cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal.
If your child does not have symptoms of coronavirus but has other cold-like symptoms, such as a runny nose, they do not need to be tested, and they or members of your household do not need to self-isolate. Your child can attend school if fit to do so.