We have reported on killers, burglars and tax evaders.
A Weston-super-Mare resident has been jailed for sexually assaulting a child by penetration.
Alexander Arlotte, 38, of Stafford Road, was sentenced in Bristol Crown Court on May 29.
He previously pleaded guilty to assaulting a child under 13 by penetration on January 27, 2018.
The offences took place between December 16, 2011 – January 28, 2018.
Judge Picton sentenced Arlotte to nine years and six months in custody, followed by an extended licence period of five years and six months.
A man found with more than 40,000 indecent images of children told police: “I’ve seen some terrible stuff.”
John Pick was distressed and remorseful when his sordid stash was recovered, Bristol Crown Court heard.
The 42-year-old, of Dewfalls Drive in Bradley Stoke, pleaded guilty to three charges of making indecent images spanning May 2013 to May 2015.
Some girls depicted in the abuse were aged as young as four, the court heard.
The Recorder of Bristol His Honour Judge Peter Blair QC jailed him for seven months.
He told Pick: “You admitted making indecent images right from the beginning.”
A burglar who left his keys at the scene of the crime had a nasty shock when police let themselves into his home.
Scott Tinkler’s DNA were all over his keys, which he left at the Bristol property.
Having established his identity DC Alastair Binnie tried the keys in his door and – like Cinderella’s shoe – found they fitted.
Tinkler, 40, of Spartley Drive in Highridge, pleaded guilty to burglary of the home in Bishopsworth Road in February.
The Recorder of Bristol His Honour Judge Peter Blair QC jailed him for 876 days.
He gave Tinkler, who was eligible for three years in prison as a “three-strike burglar”, a 20 per cent discount for his plea.
Neil and Ryan Andrews
Birnbeck Pier survived the ravages of the Lufwaffe, a misguided RAF mine and the British weather.
But it was defeated by a father and son’s greed, a court heard.
A number of bemused witnesses looked on as Neil and Ryan Andrews strolled onto the historic site in January last year.
When stonemason Neil Andrews, 64, disappeared behind a building, his son Ryan, 33, picked up a long plank and tried to prise the last remaining clock face from the historic clock tower.
When they realized they had attracted an audience including a Coastguard boat and a policewoman, they strolled off the pier in a “nonchalant” manner, Bristol Crown Court heard. (May 28, 2019)
Having been charged they were due to face trial.
But the pair, of Uphill Way in Uphill, Weston-super-Mare, pleaded guilty to burglary and causing criminal damage.
Judge Mark Horton jailed them both for 18 months.
He told the court: “The tower and clockface survived a fire in 1897.
“It survived the Lufwaffe and an accidental mine attack.
“It has withstood the extremes of the weather.
“The physical harm you caused is highly visible and irrepairable.
“The absence of the clock will inpact on the voluntary groups who seek funding for its restoration.
“A major attractive feature has been removed.
“You will always be known as the two men who destroyed the history; it was vandalism and theft for greed.”
An ex soldier who strangled his wife in Bristol has been jailed for abusing two young girls when he was on leave during the 1960s and 1970s.
Paul Howell raped one young victim when she was just eight and sexually assaulted the other when she was 11 and caused lifelong psychological harm to both.
He started his attacks when he was at a naval boarding school and on holiday and carried them on after he joined the military police, and returned to Exeter on leave.
Howell groomed both girls by giving them money or presents and scared them into keeping his abuse secret.
They have lived most of their lives in fear because Howell went on to strangle his wife to death while living in Bristol in 1985 and was jailed for manslaughter.
Howell, 69, of Ringers Close, Apperley, near Tewkesbury, admitted rape and indecent assault and was jailed for 12 years with a one year extended licence by the Recorder Mr Simon Levene at Exeter Crown Court.
(Image: Avon and Somerset Constabulary)
A banned driver from Clevedon convicted of causing the death of a 90-year-old woman by dangerous driving was jailed for four years.
Mum-of-two Tracy Bibby claimed a man said he could “make a van dance” before they crashed into a house and killed occupant Joan Woodier.
Bibby said she had been at the Crab Apple pub in Clevedon with new friend Ben Chappell.
She told Bristol Crown Court it was him, not her, who drove from the pub and lost control of the Transit and crashed.
The 35-year-old, of Butterfield Park in Clevedon, denied causing the death of Mrs Woodier by dangerous driving, and driving whilst disqualified, in April last year.
Following a trial a jury found her guilty of both charges after some five hours’ delibertion.
A Bristol graffiti tagger said he had knives to be a “hero” in case of terrorist attack.
Stephen Tiger, who has been jailed for defacing the Avon Gorge, was resuscitated by paramedics when he collapsed in the Bearpit.
He claimed he had smoked a cigarette spiked with the synthetic drug Spice.
When searched he was found to be in possession of a meat cleaver and two lock knives.
And he told police: “If there was a terrorist attack I could save the day, like a hero.
“At least I could stop the attackers.”
The 36-year-old, of Napier Road in Avonmouth, pleaded guilty to possessing three blades in April.
Judge Michael Longman jailed him for eight months and had his blades destroyed.
He told Tiger: “You acknowledged that your possession of these blades was unlawful.
“You put forward an account as to why.
“Some would say that explanation was somewhat fanciful and the truth is more prosaic.”
A wanted drug dealer has been found in Poland following a six month world-wide manhunt
Detectives launched a major appeal to trace Wocjiech Kolodziejcyk after he disappeared from Bristol Crown Court last November.
The 32-year-old went on the run before hearing the verdict for his drugs and money laundering offences. In his absence the judge sentenced him to 13 years in jail.
Kolodziejcyk was found guilty of conspiracy to supply cocaine, possession with intent to supply cocaine and money laundering last November.
A total of £86,000, 24kg adulterant, a hydraulic press and £7,000 worth of cocaine were seized from his former addresses in the West Midlands as part of a South West Regional Organised Crime Unit (SW ROCU) investigation.
A spokesperson for the authority said: “Arrangements are currently being made to bring Kolodziejcyk back to Bristol where he will face an additional sentence at Bristol Crown Court for failure to surrender.”
Having had his wife taken by illness, on the anniversary of her death a husband found a burglar had stolen her jewellery.
Melap Singh returned to his home in Kingsley Road, Cotham, and discovered an array of precious items had been grabbed by an intruder.
It was one of two daytime break-ins committed by Brett Sullivan after his life spiralled downhill following a relationship breakdown, Bristol Crown Court heard.
Sullivan, 36, of St Barnabas Close in Bristol, pleaded guilty to two burglaries.
Judge Julian Lambert jailed him for three years.
He told Sullivan: “People have had their homes defiled, there’s no other way of putting it.”
A man involved in a “revenge attack” in Yate has been jailed.
George Walker was among a group of men who visited the home, during which a car was damaged.
Walker admitted being armed with a knuckle duster and picking up a knife at the scene.
The 27 year old, whose address was given as Sheperds Patch in Slimbridge, pleaded guilty to possessing both the blade and knuckle duster.
He also pleaded guilty to breaching a restraining order by attending at his father’s workplace.
Judge Michael Cullum handed him two months’ prison for the breach of the restraining order and a total of ten months for the weapons charges.
It means that Walker, who was convicted after trial of controlling behaviour and an assault charge, is now serving a sentence of four years and one month.
(Image: Avon and Somerset Constabulary)
A man has been jailed for life after murdering his friend in a ‘frenzied attack’ with a baseball bat in an Easton flat last year.
Mahamud Osman, 38, of Perry Street, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 14 years before being considered for parole at Bristol Crown Court (Thursday, May 16) following a week-long trial.
He was arrested last year after police were called to an address in Pirie Court, Perry Street shortly before 1.45pm on November 11, 2018.
The following day Avon and Somerset Constabulary confirmed a man, later named as 40-year-old Hassan Hagi, had died at the scene.
Officers and paramedics found Mr Hagi in the living room of the flat and one officer attempted CPR, however it is thought he was likely to have been dead since the previous evening.
It was revealed during the course of the trial, which began on May 7, that Osman and Mr Hagi had been like ‘brothers’ and the pair had been drinking together over the course of a three-day period.
However the jury heard how on the night in question an argument had allegedly broken out between the two, which had quickly descended into violence.
In his evidence Osman – who was suffering from alcohol dependence and PTSD as a result of his early life in Somalia – had claimed he was acting in self-defence, however this claim was rejected by the jury.
Bad blood between two scrap workers led to bizarre events on a Bishopworth Business Park.
Darren James fell out with Davit Donghuzashvil after Mr Donghuzashvil left their breaker’s yard and set up his own yard close by.
A judge at Bristol Crown Court was shown CCTV footage capturing how the row escalated to a drug-addled James donning a dark wig and driving a car towards Mr Donghuzashvil on Cater Road.
Two days later James trundled around to Mr Donghuzashvil’s premises on a forklift truck, brandishing a machete.
James then ran off but returned in a car and drove into Mr Donghuzashvil, injuring his leg, and smashed into his Mercedes car.
James, 47, who was living in a shipping container on Cater Business Park, was to face trial today. (May 14, 2019)
But he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving on October 31 last year.
He also admitted possessing a machete, dangerous driving and assault occasioning actual bodily harm on November 2 last year and asked to be sentenced without delay.
Judge Euan Ambrose jailed him for three-and-a-half years.
He told James: “You have limited education, you cannot read or write and you have been taking drugs since you were a teenager, including Class A and spice.
“At the time you were taking a lot of drugs.
“It is said your judgement was clouded by drugs at the time of the offences.”
A dad has been jailed after painting swastikas, trying to drive his car into people and threatening to stab a man with a dirty needle.
Carl Satterly’s offences include attempting to run over his ex-partner’s new friend and telling a service station security guard: “I will knock you the f*** out you queer-eyed c***.”
The 23-year-old, of Allans Way, Weston-super-Mare, was handed eight months in prison yesterday (May 16) at North Somerset Magistrates’ Court for six offences.
That is on top of the 18-month term he received on April 30 at Bristol Crown Court for a burglary in which he trashed a home and painted swastikas on the walls.
(Image: Avon and Somerset Constabulary)
A man has been jailed for taking part in a burglary during which £10,000 worth of clothing was stolen.
Mele in The Mall in Clifton was targeted back in October 2018 and offenders used a car stolen from a separate burglary in South Gloucestershire the same night.
The vehicle was recovered by police and taken to a recovery compound in North Road, Yate.
And it was then set alight and the resulting fire spread to other vehicles, causing damage in excess of £120,000.
Pictures showed flames rising into the night air surrounded by a huge cloud of smoke.
The burnt-out wreckage in Yate
The aftermath of the fire was also captured, showing the burnt-out wreckage of the cars.
James Phillips, 28, admitted his involvement in the blaze and was sentenced for this and other burglaries at Bristol Crown Court yesterday (May 13).
Between October and November 2017, he also carried out high-value burglaries in Barrow Gurney, North Somerset, and Ammanford in Carmathenshire during which an Audi RS and a Yamaha CRF motorbike were stolen.
A father-of-two has been sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to murdering his wife in the living room of their home in Bristol.
George Worgan, 35, from Avonmouth admitted to strangling Kelly Worgan to death with a ligature at their house in Napier Road on November 28, 2018.
After killing the 33-year-old mum, Worgan left a note on the stairs asking that the children be stopped from going into the room where Kelly’s body lay dead, adding: “Daddy loves you.”
‘We had to tell them mummy died’ – family of murdered mum say ‘biggest question is why’
He then headed northward in the family car having packed only a handful of clothes, a large knife and Kelly’s phone and bank cards. It is not known where he was heading at the time.
Police were eventually able to stop him around 300 miles away on the M6 near Cumbria. He had sped off refusing to pull over when police tried stop him, leading to a police chase and a stinger being deployed which successfully punctured his tyre.
A woman wept as she was jailed for helping run a Chinese takeaway that paid no tax for years.
Chuan Xie and her husband Guang Lin, owners of Shanghai on Two Mile Hill in Kingswood, illegally avoided £215,955 in tax between 2012 and 2017.
Xie, 39, was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison today (May 3), after Lin, 43, was handed a term of three years and three months on April 24, both having admitted fraud.
The mum-of-four, of Hillside Road, cried as she was led to jail by security following the sentencing at Bristol Crown Court.
A former British serviceman has been sentenced to a total of 33 weeks imprisonment after spitting at a police officer and breaching a suspended sentence order for two previous convictions.
Shamar Said, 37, of Somerset Street, Redcliffe, appeared at Bristol Crown Court this morning (May 1) after pleading guilty to the assault of an emergency worker on February 9, 2019, outside the Wills Memorial Building.
Passing officers on patrol had noticed Said repeatedly hitting his elbows against a lamppost outside the building and decided to drive around Clifton Triangle in order to return and speak to him, Susan Cavender – prosecuting on behalf of the Crown – told the court.
By the time they had made it back to him he was seen to be lying on the ground with blood on his face, having ‘clearly sustained some form of facial injury’, with another man, who is not being prosecuted, standing over him.
‘We’ll be gone by the end of the week’ – what travellers on the Downs have said
After seeing the police officers exiting the car, both men ran away and police gave chase. Following a short pursuit, a female police officer caught up with Said and managed to grab him by the elbow as her fellow officer continued to follow the other man.
As the officer grabbed Said’s elbow, he turned to her and spat in her face.