Last month saw the nail in the coffin for a popular Italian restaurant in Bristol when a plan to build student flats in its place was given the green light.
Vincenzo’s has been a mainstay on Park Street for nearly half a century and is loved by many for its reasonably-priced food and friendly service.
But on May 21 Bristol City Council approved a planning application for the building to be demolished so 16 student flats and a shop can be built.
Given the widespread popularity of the restaurant, there was a hefty backlash to the decision with people suggesting there are far better places in Bristol to build student flats.
(Image: James Beck/Freelance)
And one particularly fond fan of the family-run Italian has decided to do a little more than just vent his frustration online.
‘A Bristol institution’
Daniel Farr has launched a campaign to try to save the iconic site from demolition, as he doesn’t want to see a ‘Bristol institution’ shut its doors.
“My wife spotted the article on Bristol Live and passed on the news to me,” said the 39-year-old, from Stoke Gifford.
“It made me really sad because it’s such a nice restaurant – a Bristol institution even – and we’ve visited countless times over the years, including for some big family occasions.
(Image: Bristol Post)
“It’s nice and cosy, the atmosphere in there is great and the food is always tasty. Not only that but it’s part of the scenery on Park Street and the owners are so lovely.
“I know more housing is needed but not student housing which is likely to be expensive considering the location.”
The father-of-two has set up a Twitter page called Save Vincenzo’s Bristol which currently has 38 followers, with the hope it will generate more interest over the coming months.
He also plans to launch a petition if there’s enough interest in the campaign, with the overall aim of thwarting the development.
(Image: Bristol Post)
Isabella Ricci, one of the owners of Vincenzo’s, said she and her family fully support the campaign.
“We’d like to say a huge thank you to Daniel for his efforts and also a thank you to everyone else who has showed support for the restaurant,” said the 56-year-old.
“It really does mean a lot to us, and we’re going to keep fighting to try and protect the restaurant.
“We want to see out our lease, which runs until 2025.”