An office block in the heart of Bristol is being ‘deep-cleaned’ after a worker reportedly tested positive for coronavirus.
Bridgewater House in Finzels Reach is being cleaned as a precaution, EDF said this morning.
It comes after the company behind Hinkley Point C power station, close to Bridgwater in Somerset, said a member of the project had been reportedly tested positive for coronavirus on arriving in China last week.
The worker, aged 35, is believed to have taken a Cathay Pacific flight from London to Hong Kong on February 27 and then a boat to Shenzhen where he fell unwell and was tested.
As well as being based at the Hinkley Point C construction site, EDF also has offices at Bridgewater House.
(Image: Getty Images)
A spokesman for the company, who said the worker had been based at Bridgewater House, said: “Hinkley Point C has contacted Public Health England because a member of the project became unwell when he returned to China from the UK.
“There are reports in China that he has tested positive for coronavirus.
“We will await further advice from Public Health England as it works with Chinese authorities to confirm any diagnosis and understand his movements and contacts.
“This person had not been in China recently. A travel ban remains in place between affected areas and the project.”
He added: “As a precaution, areas where this colleague worked are being deep cleaned.
“This includes the Hinkley Point C site, Bridgewater House (in Bristol) and Hinkley Point C buses.
“We have issued advice to staff on the common sense steps we can all take to minimise our individual risks and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”
It was after one of them had returned from northern Italy and another from Tenerife.
Two housemates of the worker who returned from Italy also went into self-isolation.
Yesterday, the first case was confirmed in nearby Gloucestershire and St Mary’s School in Tetbury has today confirmed the person is one of its staff members.
This case was among three identified on Saturday, February 29.
A second patient from Gloucestershire was confirmed today (Sunday).
In a statement, chief medical officer for England Professor Chris Whitty said: “Three patients were close contacts of a known case, transmitted in the UK, identified as part of contact tracing.
“One patient, resident in Essex, had no relevant travel and it is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from abroad; investigations are ongoing.
“Of the remaining eight cases, six had recently travelled from Italy and two from Iran.
“The patients who have recently travelled are from London, West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester, Hertfordshire and Gloucestershire. All are being investigated and contact tracing has begun.”
He added: “The total number of confirmed cases in England is now 33. Following previously reported confirmed cases in Northern Ireland and Wales, the total number of UK cases is 35.”