Our courts hear countless stories involving awful examples of violence against women.
These include domestic violence and attacks, with these ordeals often leaving victims traumatised with long lasting psychological scars.
According to the World Economic Forum, six women are killed every hour by men around the world, most by men in their own family or their partners. In the UK alone, a man killed a woman every three days; a woman was killed by a male partner or ex-partner every four days, according to the latest Femicide Census.
The Census found that a total of 30 women were killed by men in the Avon and Somerset Police force area between 2009 and 2018. In those years, at least 1,425 women were killed by men in the UK, states the Census.
In 2020, we interviewed the superintendent in charge of domestic violence for Avon and Somerset Police, where he talked about the devastating impact domestic violence has on victims and families, and you can read that interview here. Bristol West MP Thangam Debbonaire has also called on men to take action to tackle violence against women.
Avon and Somerset Police has previously said that, in 2020, the force recorded 11 homicides, of which three of the victims were women and that, in 2019, it recorded seven homicides, of which all of the victims were men.
In reference to advice and support for domestic violence victims, chief inspector Sharon Baker, Avon and Somerset Police’s force lead for domestic abuse, said: “Our message to anyone who is suffering, or has suffered, domestic abuse is to please find a way to speak to us. We know it isn’t easy to reach out, but we are here for you. You will be believed. We can help you.
“Every report of domestic abuse we receive will be investigated and we will take the steps necessary to ensure victims are safe. Where appropriate, this may include a Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) being issued. This process is designed to give breathing space to victims by granting a temporary break from their abuser, allowing victims to get support.
“We’d encourage anyone suffering from domestic abuse, to call the police on 101, but always dial 999 in an emergency. However, if you feel you can’t talk to the police, we’d suggest finding a close friend or relative to talk to about what is happening.
“There are many organisations out there that can support you too, including the 24-hour National Domestic Abuse helpline, which you can call on 0808 2000 247. We also work closely with charities, such as Lighthouse, to help victims get the support they need.”
Here are some of the most recent cases that have featured in our courts.
Senthil Ramysamy, 21 months
A sexual predator who groped women on a late night coach was jailed in October last year.
Senthil Ramysamy was banned from having contact with women on public transport by court order. But Bristol Crown Court heard he took a National Express coach from London’s Victoria Station to Plymouth and touched two women passengers – one to her body and the other to he foot.
The matter was reported to National Express staff and Ramysamy was arrested when the coach stopped near Bristol. The 51-year-old, of Mickleham Way in Croydon, pleaded guilty to breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) imposed by Luton Crown Court on September 13, 2015.
Judge James Patrick jailed him for 21 months. Read the full story here
Sign up to Grace, our weekly newsletter, launched on International Women’s Day, that presents the news through a female lens and tells the stories of inspirational women. Read last week’s edition here and sign up here
Scott Hunt, eight years
“The guilt is all yours.”
This is what a judge told a Speedwell man found guilty of sexually abusing two young girls. Scott Hunt, 33, of Whitefield Avenue, abused the youngsters on multiple occasions, Bristol Crown Court heard.
Though he still denies wrongdoing, a jury convicted him of three charges of causing or inciting a child aged under-13 to engage in sexual activity on one girl, and two charges of sexual assault of a child aged under-13 on another.
The Recorder Mr Neil Millard jailed him for eight years. Both complainants read impact statements to the court outlining the guilt and shame they endured as a result of the abuse.
The judge told Hunt: “They should feel no guilt. They did nothing wrong.The guilt is all yours. There is absolutely no guilt on them.
“Their strength is in coming here and telling this court what you did to them. They are not little girls anymore, they are strong young women. The guilt is yours.”
Hunt was handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order banning him from contact or working with youngsters aged under 16. He was told to register his whereabouts to police for life. Read the full story here.
Jasbir Singh, 16 months
A man who threatened to kill his ex-wife after accusing her of having an affair with his brother was jailed.
Jasbir Singh told staff at Bristol Royal Infirmary he intended to kill his ex-wife, brother and himself. He repeated the threat to police, saying he would: “Dig her eyes out and feed her to the pigs.”
Singh, 55, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to breaching a non-molestation order and making two threats to kill in August.
Judge Martin Picton jailed him for 16 months and handed him an indefinite restraining order to have no contact with named parties. Read the full story here.
Daniel Bishop, 14 years and eight months
A “depraved” Emersons Green man drugged a woman so he and others could rape her.
Daniel Bishop obtained the GHB “date rape” drug from a Dutch website, Bristol Crown Court was told. After slipping it into her drink he forced himself on her while she was unconscious and broadcast the abuse via the internet.
And he also arranged for other men to similarly abuse her, the court heard.
Bishop, 43, pleaded guilty to three rapes, three attempted rapes, a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance.
Judge James Patrick, who categorised him as a dangerous offender, jailed him for 14 years and eight months with extended licence of eight years.
He told Bishop: “You fall to be sentenced for a set of depraved offences. What you did is, in my judgement, degrading and humiliating.”
The judge ordered Bishop to register as a sex offender for life and barred him from working with children and vulnerable adults. Read the full story here.
Roland Lamin, seven years
A former soldier who raped and sexually abused teenager after chatting to them online has been jailed.
Roland Lamin befriended the young women on social media, Bristol Crown Court heard. After arranging to meet them he forced himself on one and sexually assaulted two others in his car.
Lamin, 31, of no fixed address, denied wrongdoing. A jury convicted him of rape, two sexual assaults, inciting the sexual exploitation of a child and breach of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order .
The offences took place in 2018. Judge Michael Longman jailed him for seven years. Read the full story here
Sign up for our new Bristol’s Court Insider newsletter for the latest court and crime news – from arrests to trials and sentencings
Aaron Gent, 20 months
A Downend man convicted of sexually assaulting one woman and stalking another was jailed.
A jury found Aaron Gent guilty of two sex offences but he admitted other charges. In total the 30-year-old, of Maggs Close, was convicted of stalking, causing criminal damage, harassment and two sexual assaults.
Judge William Hart jailed him for 20 months and told him: “The offending indicates wholly inappropriate behaviour by you to both these women. Women should not be expected to tolerate it.
“Those who offend in this way should expect custodial sentences.”
The judge handed Gent a five-year restraining order banning him from contact with both complainants. He was also told to notify on the sexual offenders’ register for 10 years. Read the full story here.
Ibrahim Sanad, two years and nine months
A barber who told a woman he wanted to make her “the perfect Muslim wife” was far from a perfect Muslim himself, a court heard.
Ibrahim Sanad controlled his victim by not letting her out of his sight, telling her what to wear and advising her to sit “like a dog” in the presence of men and not to look or talk to them. Meanwhile Sanad drank alcohol, took drugs, watched porn when they had sex and beat her up, Bristol Crown Court heard.
But she finally managed to escape his clutches by grabbing his private parts and fleeing. Sanad, 26, of Felix Road in Easton, pleaded guilty to coercive or controlling behaviour and grievous bodily harm.
The recorder Mr Ignatius Hughes QC jailed him for two years and nine months. Sanad was handed a five-year restraining order to have no contact with his victim. Read the full story here.
Joshua Nigh, five year extended sentence
A violent partner who slashed a woman’s wrist and then claimed she had cut it herself was jailed.
Joshua Nigh, who had a restraining order not to see the woman, had been drinking with her before she ran a blade over her arm for a “release”, Bristol Cown Court heard.
She sustained damage to a tendon and a cut nerve and had to undergo surgery. Nigh originally claimed she self-harmed, the court was told.
The 32-year-old, of Douglas Road, Weston-super-Mare, pleaded guilty to wounding, three charges of breaching a restraining order and one charge of doing an act tending to pervert the course of justice.
He had a previous conviction for assaulting both the woman and his father and the judge perceived him to be a dangerous offender.
Judge James Patrick jailed him a five-year extended sentence, comprising of four years’ prison and 12 months’ extended licence. He told Nigh: “These are very serious offences. In my judgement you are dangerous and out of control when drunk.”
Read the full story here.
Roger Loney, three years
A Henbury man convicted of molesting two teenage girls was jailed. Roger Loney, 45, of Satchfield Close, denied abusing the youngsters but was convicted after a trial.
A jury found him guilty of sexually assaulting one girl and three sexual assaults on a second. Judge James Patrick jailed him for three years, as well as barring him from working with children and vulnerable adults and ordered him to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.
Read the full story here.
Thomas Croker, eight months
The Lawrence Weston man “bombarded” his former partner with phone calls after they split and was jailed.
Thomas Croker continued to pester the woman even though both she and police asked him to stop. Bristol Crown Court was told that between August and November last year he phoned her more than 400 times.
Croker, 29, of Badenham Grove, pleaded guilty to stalking. Judge William Hart jailed him for eight months. You can read the full story here.