‘Dangerous’ queues have reportedly caused a near miss involving a pedestrian and a car as motorists attempt to overtake vehicles lining up for Fishpond’s McDonalds, according to concerned residents.
Video footage shows buses and other vehicles attempting to overtake the queues after it reportedly took 15 metres to travel just 500 metres on Wednesday, near to the eatery.
Bosses at McDonald’s have said they are working with police to mitigate the impact on other road users.
But Labour councillor Mhairi Threlfall says the drive-thru is posing a risk to people’s safety and hazards on the roads.
She has been inundated with complaints by local residents since the eatery reopened on Wednesday morning.
“One resident told me they saw a pedestrian attempting to cross the road and another car attempting to overtake the queues didn’t see they were crossing,” said the ward councillor for Eastville.
“The queues are causing severe delays. The buses are taking key workers in and out of the city.
“The last thing you want after a busy shift at a hospital or Tesco is to be stuck in traffic.
“Local residents are very concerned. Fishponds Road is already a very busy route, that’s why the application was originally turned down.”
A spokesperson for McDonald’s said demand had been exceptionally high.
She said: “With restaurant teams adjusting to new procedures to enable safe working and social distancing, things may take a little longer – and demand has already been very high.
“We are aware of some queues, and in line with our opening plans we have been working closely with the police to mitigate their impact as much as possible.
“At our Fishponds restaurant the police suggested closing the right turn into the restaurant and this has eased congestion.”