Emergency services were called to a fire breaking out at a leisure centre in Bristol yesterday evening (Monday, June 27). Fire crews from Patchway and Southmead rushed to the blaze at 5.42pm after receiving reports of bushes catching alight near the Bradley Stoke Leisure Cente on Fiddlers Wood Lane.
Firefighters discovered the fire impacting a single-storey building on arrival and members of the public had been safely cleared from the area. Reports on social media indicated those who were swimming at the time of the evacuation were offered foil blankets.
A spokesperson from Circadian Trust, who manages and operates the Active Lifestyle Centres in the UK, said: “We are sorry that customers were unable to use Bradley Stoke Active Lifestyle Centre for part of Monday evening. This was due to a small fire, which was quickly extinguished by Avon Fire and Rescue services. We are pleased to report that no one was hurt.
“As is the case after such an incident, a full investigation and review of our procedures have been undertaken to ensure we maintain the highest operational and safety standards.”
In a statement, Avon Fire and Rescue added: “On arrival, crews found a fire involving bushes affecting a single storey building, with the public having safely evacuated the area. Using thermal imaging cameras to check the spread of the fire, firefighters used one high pressure hose reel, one drag fork, a triple extension ladder and two positive pressure ventilation fans to extinguish the fire.
“A gas monitor was also used to check the safety of the scene. The cause of the incident was determined to have been accidental ignition.”
Active Centres shared on Facebook at 7.16pm on Monday: “We’re pleased to be able to announce that everything is back up and running as normal now. This means lane swimming will be able to take place this evening.”