Neighbours describe heartache after ‘really nice’ woman dies in tower block tragedy

Residents of a tower block in Bristol have been left in “shock” after a woman has died on Tuesday (April 19). People living close to the victim said they heard calls for help moments before police arrived.

They described her as a ‘really nice’ woman, but sadly say incidents like last night are not ‘unusual’ at Lansdowne Court. Police have arrested a 43-year-old man on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident, which happened at around 12.30am today.

In a statement, Avon and Somerset Police confirmed the woman was found at the bottom of a block of flats with serious injuries suggesting a fall from height. She was pronounced dead at the scene following officers’ attempts to carry out emergency first aid.

Police statement in full: Murder arrest after woman dies in Bristol tower block fall

Police are ‘keeping an open mind’ around the circumstances of the death of the woman, adding their enquiries are at ‘very early stages’. Chief Inspector Deepak Kenth added: “This is a close-knit community and we know a tragedy like this will cause a great deal of concern among those living nearby.”

Samuel Smith, a resident of the building, said he knew both the woman and the man who has been arrested in relation to the incident. He explained he heard shouting in the early hours of Tuesday morning before he went to bed.

Lansdowne Court in Easton
Lansdowne Court in Easton
(Image: Google Maps)

“I heard shouting and screaming and I just went to sleep,” he said. Samuel emphasised this was not an unusual occurrence at the tower block, and he was alerted to a number of police vehicles outside the building by one of his two sons, who are five and eight years old.

Samuel added: “They had seen first and called me. My eldest said ‘Dad, the forensics van is there as well. There are guys in white uniforms’. So I came round to have a look and thought ‘oh no’.”

Also see: Police ‘keeping an open mind’ about tower block ‘murder’

After seeing a number of police vehicles and forensic vans, he went downstairs to enquire what had happened between 7am and 8am on Tuesday. “Police wouldn’t give any information so I spoke to one of the caretakers and he called me to one side. He told me what had happened and I broke down in tears at that point.”

Samuel said hearing the news of the woman’s death was a “shock” to him and his sons. “What hit them, was my eldest one said ‘Oh no she’s really nice, I’m scared now’. He was literally speaking to the woman two days ago.”

Another resident, Kasia, said she awoke when she heard voices on Tuesday early in the morning. Speaking to Bristol Live, she said: “I heard men’s voices, very loud.”

Initially, when she looked out of the window she said couldn’t tell what was happening. “I went to the kitchen and heard voices from the kitchen side. I heard a scream of ‘help me! Help me! Help me! Help me!’

Police at the scene of a fatal incident at Lansdowne Court in Easton
Police at the scene of a fatal incident at Lansdowne Court in Easton
(Image: Bristol Live/Paul Gillis)

“Police arrived with I think three ambulances. They tried to rescue her but no.”

Kasia added more police arrived later on Tuesday morning. “It was a very hard experience,” she said. “They have moved the tent outside the small garden.”

Police have said additional patrols will be deployed in the area to “to give reassurance, allay any worries and to provide a visible presence”. Officers have also asked anyone who has information about this incident to please call 101 and give the call handler the reference number 5222091832.

Back to: The Traffic SEOWebsite SEONews and BLOGBristol News

You may also like...

The Traffic SEO