The first case of coronavirus in South Gloucestershire was treated at Southmead Hospital earlier this week and is now self-isolating at home.
It was confirmed earlier today (Saturday, March 14) that the number of cases across the UK has also risen from 797 to 1,140 and PHE has broken down where the patients are across the country.
The number of cases in Bristol is now said to be four, despite PHE saying yesterday it was actually five. The number of cases in North Somerset remains zero.
There’s now one case in Bath and North East Somerset but the council have said previously there are two residents who have tested positive for COVID-19.
On Thursday, it was confirmed a student at the University of Bristol had tested positively for COVID-19 after returning to the city from abroad.
Six other Bristol University students are currently self-isolating due to suspected coronavirus but have not knowingly been in contact with this confirmed case.
You can keep up to date with all the latest coronavirus news – both locally and nationally – in our live blog here .
Advice to prevent spread of virus
In most cases coronavirus – also known as COVID-19 – is mild but everyone should carry on with good washing of hands and related personal hygiene measures, which include:
- Give your hands a good wash – it is the most effective action you can take. Use soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away and washing your hands afterwards
- It is good general practice to use cleaning wipes to give your keyboard, desk, phone etc. the once over on a regular basis.
- Avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Do NOT touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
If someone is feeling unwell and has the symptoms set out on the public health website they should not go to their doctors or a hospital. They should ring 111 to get further advice.