Sex offenders jailed in Bristol from January to May 2022

Open justice strives to ensure public confidence and respect in democracy and the administration of justice. It also serves to deter people from committing crimes and thereby the details of those crimes becoming public knowledge.

Here are the people we reported on who were jailed for sex offences from January to May, 2022. Cases have been plentiful, including historical offenders brought to justice by scientific advances.

You can read more about why we publish defendants’ names and addresses here.

Read more:Woman jailed at Bristol Crown Court so far this year

Jake Matthews, six-and-a-half years

A former drummer convicted of having sex with a sleeping woman was jailed. Jake Matthews, who used to play with Bristol band Montrose, denied wrongdoing after the historical allegation was made.

But a jury convicted him of rape in a trial at Bristol Crown Court. Matthews, 26, of Glena Avenue in Knowle, appeared for sentence today. (May 12, 2022). Judge David Evans sent to prison for six-and-a-half years.

The judge told him: “She said she was tired. She fell asleep with you beside her in bed and she had no worries about that. It seems you had been hoping for sex. Rather than waiting until she woke you decided to take the sexual gratification you had been hoping for.”

Read the full story here

Raymond Ellis, five years

Raymond Ellis

It took 35 years – but DNA technology finally put a sex attacker behind bars. Raymond Ellis targeted a lone 17-year-old girl walking home after a night out in Sheffield, Bristol Crown Court heard.

After a chase in which she lost a stiletto heel he struck her in the face with her shoe before taking her to a grass bank, removing her underwear and forcing her to commit a sex act on him. Ellis then left her tied up with her underwear and fled, probably thinking he had got clean away.

But three decades later a review of the case focused on semen recovered on the victim’s jacket, DNA recovered matched Ellis and he was arrested in August 2019. Ellis, 63, of William Street in Bristol, pleaded guilty to indecent assault, carrying a maximum 10 years at the time it was committed in 1987. The court heard that, today, the attack would have been charged as rape carrying a maximum of life imprisonment. The recorder Mr James Bromige jailed him for five years.

Read the full story here

Haithum Alsuliman, eight years

Haithum Alsuliman

“You are a liar. Your are a rapist” These were the words a judge used to a man who claimed he was the victim after he submitted a Bristol teenager to a terrifying sexual assault. Though he denies wrongdoing, Haithum Alsuliman was not believed and a jury convicted him.

The 35-year-old, of Nags Hill Head in St George, was found guilty of rape following the attack early last year. He was produced for sentence at Bristol Crown Court. (May 16, 2022) The recorder Mr Millard jailed him for eight years.

Read the full story here

Steven Strange, 18 months

Steven Strange

A convicted child rapist who formed an acquaintance with a vulnerable 14-year-old girl was jailed. Steven Strange was banned from contact with children aged under-16 under the terms of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO).

But he met the girl on Horfield Common, gave her his mobile number and they went on several walks together, Bristol Crown Court heard. Strange, 34, of Jacobs Wells Road in Bristol, pleaded guilty to two breaches of the SHPO. He also admitted failing to notify his whereabouts under sex offender notification.

The recorder Mr Richard Smith QC jailed him for 18 months. He told Strange: “You have a history of sex offending and non-compliance.”

Read the full story here

David Newbury, 14-and-a-half years

“I see David as the Devil. You don’t have to go down below to get to Hell.” These were the words a woman used to describe the man who inflicted a “campaign of rape” on her.

David Newbury sexually abused her as well as another girl decades ago in Bristol. But time has finally caught up with him at the grand old age of 81 and there is a risk he may die in prison as a result.

Newbury, of Western Side in Devon, pleaded guilty to two charges of rape and three indecent assault charges against one girl. He also admitted two indecent assault charges relating to a second girl. Judge William Hart jailed him for 14-and-a-half years.

He told Newbury: “Finally the day of judgement has arrived for you. You are guilty and have for the last 50 years been guilty of offences of enormous depravity with many, grave aggravating features regarding the abuse. You had the essential decency to accept your responsibility today.”

Read the full story here

Jordan Searle, nine years

Jordan Searle

An Emersons Green man who admitted sexually abusing a schoolgirl was jailed. Jordan Searle appeared at Bristol Crown Court. (April 1, 2022) The 40-year-old, of Honeysuckle Road, pleaded guilty to three charges of having sexual activity with a child.

The court heard one charge related to some 20 occasions and the other two charges related to specific incidents involving a girl aged under 18. He also admitted making indecent images of a child

Judge Michael Longman jailed him for nine years. He told Searle: “Everything about your sexual relationship with her must have told you from the beginning and throughout that it was deeply wrong. She was under-age, you knew it was unlawful.”

Read the full story here

Jagath Arachchige, 16-year extended sentence

Jagath Arachchige

By day accountant Jagath Arachchige was charming and highly professional. But by night he was a sexual predator, driving around Bristol city centre in his blue Honda Accord targeting vulnerable lone woman leaving nightclubs who took him for a cabbie.

After picking up one woman he kidnapped her for five hours, which culminated in him sexually assaulting her. And just 15 hours later he kidnapped a second woman but failed to molest her.

The 44-year-old of Eighth Avenue in Filton, denied wrongdoing. But a jury at Bristol Crown Court convicted him of kidnap and sexual assault, as well as kidnap and kidnap with intent to commit a sex offence, in December 2017.

Judge Mark Horton handed him a 16-year extended sentence, comprising of 12 years’ custody (two-thirds to serve) and four years’ extended licence. He found Arachchige to be a dangerous offender, telling him: “It is clear that whilst you present to the world as an engaging, charming and able account with an apparent calm and quiet manner, this mask perfectly concealed the callous and deliberate deception and manipulative skills of a predatory sexual offender.”

Read the full story here

Ian Waine, 12-and-a-half years

A Hartcliffe man maintains his innocence after being charged with the historical sexual abuse of two boys. But a jury found otherwise and he is starting a 12-and-a-half year jail term.

Ian Waine, 43, of Lakeshore Drive, was convicted of rape and two indecent assaults of a complainant aged eight. He was also convicted of four indecent assaults of a second complainant aged 10.

Judge James Patrick told him: “You are a serious sexual offender.”

Read the full story here

Noel Shaw, nine years and three months sentence

A babysitter supposedly caring for a girl aged eight abused his trust and sexually assaulted her. And now he is starting a substantial jail term.

Noel Shaw, 46, whose address was given as Tommy Taylors Lane in Cheltenham, admitted two historic charges of sexually assaulting the child at her home near Bristol. He appeared before Bristol Crown Court for sentence. (April 14, 2022)

Judge Julian Lambert handed him a sentence of nine years and three months. The penalty comprises a jail term of eight years and three months followed by a year on licence.

Read the full story here

Paedophile gang, 32 years and six months

Clockwise from top left: Grant McGill, Brian Parker, Derek McBride and Tim Dale
Clockwise from top left: Grant McGill, Brian Parker, Derek McBride and Tim Dale
(Image: Avon and Somerset Police)

A group of men convicted of the historical sexual abuse of two young girls were jailed for a total of 32 years and six months. Three of the four denied wrongdoing and were convicted after a trial while a fourth admitted his guilt.

Bristol Crown Court heard the girls were subjected to intimate assaults, in a location near Bristol, from when one was aged as young as seven. The court was told they were groomed and manipulated by offenders years older than them.

Tim Dale, 42, of Eleanor Close, Twerton, was found guilty of two indecent assaults on one girl. The court heard he was fit to stand trial but was intellectually impaired.

Grant McGill, 41, of Mill Road, Radstock, was found guilty of 35 charges on one girl. These comprised of 26 indecent assaults and nine indecency with a child charges.

Brian Parker, 48, of Benjamin Road in Wrexham, was found guilty of eight charges. These comprised of an indecent assault of one girl and seven indecency charges relating to the other. He admitted downloading 38 indecent images of children from the internet.

Derek McBride, 62, of River Street, Bath, pleaded guilty to four indecent assaults and one charge of gross indecency. The charges related to both girls.

Judge Mark Horton sentenced the men thus: McGill, 16 years, eight weeks; Parker, 12 years (nine years jail with three years’ extended licence); McBride, two years, six months; Dale, two years, suspended for two years.

Read the full story here

Mario DiMaggio, 14 years

Mario DiMaggio raped and sexually assaulted a woman multiple times and he has been jailed for 14 years
Mario DiMaggio raped and sexually assaulted a woman multiple times and he has been jailed for 14 years
(Image: Avon and Somerset Constabulary)

A 47-year-old was been jailed for 14 years after being convicted of rape and sexual assaults following a trial at Bristol Crown Court. DiMaggio, of Jacobs Wells Road, Bristol, was found guilty by a jury of two counts of rape and 12 counts of sexual assault, with all the offences committed against one woman in early 2019.

Trial judge William Hart called DiMaggio “predatory” in his behaviour, as he sentenced him to the prison term at a hearing earlier today (March 14), as well as to a life-time restraining order. He will also be placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

The offences were reported to the police in February 2019

Read the full story here

Bjorn Ballard, 10 months

Bjorn Ballard

A man released from a jail term for engaging in sexual communication with a child was then found with child abuse images. Bjorn Ballard was released from his sentence in May 2020, a court heard.

But after police made a check visit to him just two days later his electronic devices were analysed. And it emerged he had some 10 photos of youngsters, six of which were deemed to be showing the highest Category A level of abuse.

Ballard, 43, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to two charges of making indecent photos of children. He appeared at Bristol Crown Court via video link from HMP Channings Wood for sentence today. (March 15, 2022)

Judge James Patrick jailed him for 10 months.

Read the full story here

Stuart Mansell, ten years

An intruder smashed his way into a woman’s home and raped her twice “with pure hatred in his eyes”, a court heard. Stuart Mansell was said to be drunk and high on drugs when he assaulted the victim both sexually and physically at an address in Somerset.

Mansell, 32, of Masefield Road in Warminster, admitted assault and affray. He denied two rapes but was convicted after trial.

Judge Michael Cullum jailed him for ten years. He told Mansell: “You smashed a window and got into her home. Yours was a display of power over her. You had taken drink and or drugs. You completely lost it in the way you behaved.” Mansell was handed a restraining order banning him from all contact with the woman.

Read the full story here

Simon Chapman, four years

A man who, as a child, sexually abused two other youngsters was jailed. Simon Chapman was aged from 14 when he targeted a younger boy and girl in Knowle, Bristol Crown Court heard. Chapman, 49, of Lefroy Avenue in Basingstoke, denied six indecent assaults, buggery and indecency with a child against the girl and two indecent assaults and four buggeries of the boy. A jury convicted him after a trial

The recorder Mr Ignatius Hughes QC jailed him for four years. He told Chapman: “Since the offending you have been not in trouble at all. You have changed significantly as a human being and you have been a hard worker your whole life.”

Read the full story here

Michael Tedstone, two years and eight months

Michael Tedstone

Sexual chats with a non-existent child – again – cost a man jail. In 2019 Michael Tedstone received a suspended jail term for attempted child sexual activity.

Bristol Crown Court heard he had been caught by an adult in a paedophile sting. And last year he was caught again.

Tedstone, 25, of (Milton Road) in Weston-super-Mare, pleaded guilty to attempting to incite child sexual activity, breaching a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and attempted sexual communication with a child in October last year. The recorder Mr Malcolm Gibney jailed him for two years and eight months.

He told Tedstone: “It would appear you have not learned your lesson from your appearance in this court.”

Read the full story here

Roger Loney, three years

Roger Loney

A Henbury man convicted of molesting two teenage girls was jailed. Roger Loney, 45, of Satchfield Close, denied abusing the youngsters but was convicted after a trial.

A jury found him guilty of sexually assaulting one girl and three sexual assaults on a second. Judge James Patrick jailed him for three years.

The judge barred him from working with children and vulnerable adults and ordered him to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Read the full story here

Matthew Dobie, 20 years

Matthew Dobie was handed a 20-year jail sentence.
Matthew Dobie was handed a 20-year jail sentence.
(Image: Avon and Somerset Police)

A man was handed a 20-year jail sentence after being convicted of a number of child sexual offences. Matthew Dobie, originally from South Gloucestershire, was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on February 18.

He carried out multiple offences on a single victim a number of years ago before it was reported to the police in 2020. Consequently, he was found guilty by a majority verdict of two counts of raping a child and four counts of sexual activity with a child.

Dobie was handed a 20-year sentence with a further four years to be served on license. He will be required to serve a minimum of two-thirds of his custodial sentence.

On top of this, the 47-year-old will be placed on the sex offenders register and subject of an indefinite sexual harm prevention order. Judge Julian Lambert described the abuse Dobie inflicted upon the victim as ‘despicable’.

Read the full story here

Christopher Lawrence, ten years

Christopher Lawrence

The victim of child sexual abuse bravely told a court how his life has been decimated as a result. He said being molested at the hands of Christopher Lawrence prompted him to seek solace in obsessive behaviour, ruined relationships and caused him trust issues.

He told Bristol Crown Court: “I’ve realised how much the abuse affected me and how much it changed my life.” Lawrence, 72, of Orchard Square in Redfield, pleaded guilty to nine historical charges of indecent assault on a male.

The Recorder of Bristol His Honour Judge Peter Blair QC jailed him for ten years.

Read the full story here

Daniel Bishop, 14 years and eight months

Daniel Bishop

A “depraved” Emersons Green man drugged a woman so he and others could rape her. Daniel Bishop obtained the GHB “date rape” drug from a Dutch website, Bristol Crown Court was told.

After slipping it into her drink he forced himself on her while she was unconscious and broadcast the abuse via the internet. And he also arranged for other men to similarly abuse her, the court heard.

Bishop, 43, pleaded guilty to three rapes, three attempted rapes, a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Judge James Patrick, who categorised him as a dangerous offender, jailed him for 14 years and eight months with extended licence of eight years.

He told Bishop: “You fall to be sentenced for a set of depraved offences. “What you did is, in my judgement, degrading and humiliating.”

The judge ordered Bishop to register as a sex offender for life and barred him from working with children and vulnerable adults.

Read the full story here

Aaron Gent, 20 months

A Downend man convicted of sexually assaulting one woman and stalking another was jailed. A jury found Aaron Gent guilty of two sex offences but he admitted other charges.

In total the 30-year-old, of Maggs Close, was convicted of stalking, causing criminal damage, harassment and two sexual assaults. Judge William Hart jailed him for 20 months.

The judge told him: “The offending indicates wholly inappropriate behaviour by you to both these women. Women should not be expected to tolerate it. Those who offend in this way should expect custodial sentences.”

The judge handed Gent a five-year restraining order banning him from contact with both complainants. He was also told to notify on the sexual offenders’ register for 10 years.

Read the full story here

Scott Hunt, eight years

Scott Hunt

“The guilt is all yours.” This is what a judge told a Speedwell man found guilty of sexually abusing two young girls.

Scott Hunt, 33, of Whitefield Avenue, abused the youngsters on multiple occasions, Bristol Crown Court heard. Though he still denies wrongdoing a jury convicted him of three charges of causing or inciting a child aged under-13 to engage in sexual activity on one girl, and two charges of sexual assault of a child aged under-13 on another.

The Recorder Mr Neil Millard jailed him for eight years. Both complainants read impact statements to the court outlining the guilt and shame they endured as a result of the abuse.

The judge told Hunt: “They should feel no guilt. They did nothing wrong.

“The guilt is all yours. There is absolutely no guilt on them.

“Their strength is in coming here and telling this court what you did to them. They are not little girls anymore, they are strong young women. The guilt is yours.”

Hunt was handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order banning him from contact or working with youngsters aged under 16. He was told to register his whereabouts to police for life.

Read the full story here

Sign up for our new Bristol’s Court Insider newsletter for the latest court and crime news – from arrests to trials and sentencings

Back to: The Traffic SEOWebsite SEONews and BLOGBristol News

You may also like...