A FIRE which broke out behind Stroud Register Office last night is being treated as arson.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at the Old School Buildings in Wood Street at 10.08pm yesterday evening.
A spokesman for Gloucestershire Fire Service said: “We were called to a fire at the Old School Buildings in Wood Street, Stroud, at 10.08pm yesterday evening.
“Two engines were sent from Stroud and one from Nailsworth to a two-storey stone-built property that is used for student accommodation.
“The ground floor was 25 per cent damaged by fire and 100 per cent damaged by smoke.
“Crews used two hose reels and four sets of breathing apparatus to put it out.
“No one was injured and crews left the scene at 11.31pm.
“This was a police-led incident and is being treated as suspected arson”.
Residents said there was a ‘toxic smell’ in the air and that they were keeping their windows closed.
This picture was posted on Facebook by Tim Bryant and shared on Nailsworth Chat & Information.
Anyone who has pictures of the incident can send them in via Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org