PLAYING close to an asbestos factory when he was a boy could have claimed the life of Graham Underwood, 64, an inquest was told today.
Mr Underwood, of Rylands Road, Stonehouse, was diagnosed with the asbestos-related lung cancer mesothelioma in October 2018 and despite treatment he died in the Sue Ryder Leckhampton Hospice, near Cheltenham on March 27, this year, Gloucestershire Coroners Court heard.
Senior coroner for Gloucestershire Katy Skerrett said: “In a statement written by Mr Underwood before his death he said that as a boy he lived close to Fibrecrete Factory in Chalford, near Stroud, and played in the dust there as a child.
“This may well have contributed to him contracting mesothelioma in later life.”
But the coroner said that as he did not work there she could not record a conclusion of death by industrial disease.
She ruled that the death had to be recorded as from natural causes.