The property of the day is this fine seven bedroomed vicarage for £1.25 million originally built for composer the Reverend Vaughan Williams.
This Former vicarage was originally built in 1865 for The Reverend Vaughan Williams, whose son Ralph was later to become one of England’s premier composers. The property was subsequently sold by the Church of England in 1946 and divided into two separate homes some 14 years later with Pilgrims being the former front of house.
This delightful village property is constructed of stone with a Cotswold stone roof, listed as Grade II with many architectural features in addition to a useful attached cottage creating excellent annexed accommodation or letting potential.
The property sits within a generous plot with established gardens extending in all to 0.78 acres and is approached over a sweeping gravel drive to the front with a secondary driveway to the rear. In all the property extends to 4,191 sq ft. An inviting entrance porch leads into the property which enjoys a good flow of accommodation.
The 26 ft. drawing room is an impressive space with high ceilings, original panelling, large dual aspect windows and a fine, wide staircase rising to the first floor. The kitchen breakfast room is comprehensively fitted and opens on to a delightful rear courtyard and the sitting room also provides dining space with a full height ceiling and large fireplace with wood burning stove.
To the first floor are six bedrooms, one of which is ensuite with a further shower and bathroom. In addition there is access to a useful first floor attic space from the landing which currently comprises of two areas, each with windows and subject to planning has the potential to provide excellent additional bedroom accommodation or home/work space.
The annexe is a fantastic compliment to the main house and enjoys two access points, one from the rear driveway and another onto the pretty courtyard. The living space is arranged over the ground floor and comprises a well appointed kitchen, 15″10′ living room, bedroom and bathroom. Adjoining the annexe is a useful workshop and garage.
Down Ampney is a good sized village on the Gloucestershire/Wiltshire border about 1½ miles to the East of the much improved A419 which links the M4 at Swindon with the M5 at Gloucester.
The village benefits from some excellent facilities which include a church, village hall with post office/shop and tennis courts. There is also a village primary school which was OFSTED inspected in October 2018 and was judged as “Good”.
Cirencester is located about 4 miles to the south-east and is a wonderful old Cotswold market town dominated by the beautiful Parish Church and surrounded by some of the loveliest countryside in the Cotswolds.
There are main line rail services to London from both Kemble about 4 miles (Paddington 1 hour and 20 minutes) and Swindon, about 16 miles
(Paddington 58 minutes).
The gardens are a wonderful feature of the property with a sweeping driveway leading up to an area of parking at the front of the house. A secondary driveway provides access to the rear
and to the garage. The gardens are mostly laid to lawn with established shrubs and borders, mature trees and a high stone boundary wall providing privacy. To the rear of the house with access from the sitting room, kitchen and annexe is a charming
courtyard garden. In addition, to the rear of the property is a further area of garden, laid to lawn with an established kitchen garden and direct access to the village road.
Views property details here