The fire brigade was called fight flames shooting ‘three metres’ out of a pub chimney in Stroud during its lockdown takeaway service on Friday night.
Sparks set alight the soot inside the chimney at The Old Fleece in Woodchester, leading to the pub being evacuated.
Firefighters scaled the building and doused the flames with a mist, which put out the fire without making any mess inside the establishment.
“It did look very dramatic, like a Roman candle,” said Nick Beardsley, co-owner of the Old Fleece.
“The flames were shooting out of the chimney. It was like an intense flame that you get from one of those gas burners that cut through metal.”
The chimney was swept in October, but consistent rainy days created a moist layer on the bricks that soot became easily stuck too.
The team aboard the fire engine from Stroud fire station were sent to the pub at 6:31pm following a call from a member of the public and the incident finished at 7:15pm.
“The fire brigade were absolutely brilliant. They were here within a couple of minutes and they were instantly dealt with everything very professionally,” said Mr Beardsley.
Takeaway services were paused during the fire, but once they resumed chefs at the Old Fleece managed to fulfil all 60 orders they had that night regardless.
The pub, which has been going for 28 years, started serving takeaways on January 1 and have developed an app, the Old Fleece App, which customers can download from Google Play or the App Store to create their orders.
Alternatively you can ring 07815 733683 or visit their website. The service is available on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and for Sunday lunchtime roasts.
“In our industry it’s a good way of diversifying and getting a bit of trade that keeps us operating so that we can be there again when we’re needed,” said Mr Beardsley.