Firefighters had to break into a flat in Paganhill today (Sunday) after a hob was left on.
A breathing apparatus team from Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service were forced to break in to gain access and put out a small fire in the kitchen.
They found a pan left on the hob and nobody at home.
“Remember to switch off appliances when you go out,” the force tweeted.
Stroud crews have attended a small kitchen fire in a Paganhill flat today. The breathing apparatus team had to break In to get access, pan left on hob and nobody in… remember to switch off appliances when you go out. Check out our cook safe advice. https://t.co/Udykg1oEtP pic.twitter.com/X5AUKt0Vpl
— Glosfire (@Glosfire) May 9, 2021
Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service’s cook safe advice:
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
- Take care when cooking with oil – it sets alight easily. If it starts to smoke it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach.
- Don’t leave pans on the hob when you’re not around – take them off the heat if you have to leave the kitchen, even if you think it will only be for a moment.
- Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from the cooker.
- Don’t cook if you are under the influence of alcohol.