A victim of serial killer Fred West is suspected to have been found by a film crew at a Café in Gloucester.
A police major crimes unit are investigating evidence of a body buried in The Clean Plate café, Southgate Street, unearthed by a production company filming a documentary on May 7.
The building has been linked to the disappearance of Mary Bastholm, a 15 year-old girl who was reported missing in 1968 and has never been found.
Her disappearance was previously linked to Fred West, who committed suicide in 1995 after confessing to rape, murder and child abuse, and there was suspicion he was involved in Mary’s death.
Assistant Chief Constable Craig Holden said: “On the basis of the information provided to us, we consider this to be new and potentially important evidence in the case of Mary Bastholm, however further detailed assessments will take place over the following few days to determine the extent of excavation needed.”
He said investigating officers will be present a number of weeks. Their work appears to have begun in the cellar,.
“First and foremost our thoughts are with Mary’s family and we would ask that their privacy is respected at this difficult time,” said ACC Holden.
“This news may understandably alarm those who work near to the premises, as well as those in the wider Gloucester community and beyond.
“The Constabulary has always said any fresh evidence would be reviewed. This has happened and a focused and proportionate investigation will now take place.
“Due to the potential scale of this there will likely be some disruption to those who work nearby, and I ask for their patience and co-operation during this time.
“We would also encourage anyone who is affected by this news to please seek support.”
Family Liaison Officers have been put in place to provide support and updates to Mary’s family as enquiries continue.
Anyone who has any new information relating to the disappearance of Mary Bastholm can report this to Gloucestershire Constabulary online by completingand referencing incident 99 of May 11.
The Force still has documentation and information from the original enquiry into Fred West and therefore anyone who submitted information previously does not need to do this again.