THE Javelin Park waste incinerator could be fired up in less than three weeks time.
The large facility in Gloucester, near junction 12 of the M5, could start burning the county’s waste from June 10.
Gloucestershire County Council received the official 20 days notice of when waste can be accepted at the site from Urbaser Balfour Beatty (UBB), the company building the rubbish burner, earlier this month.
Gloucester City and Stroud District councils have been asked to deliver residual waste to the incinerator in the week commencing June 10, with the remaining district councils expected to send their waste from June 24.
Residual waste from Gloucester and Stroud is expected to be used as rubbish for test burning, and Javelin Park will fully operational this summer.
The county council however have not confirmed any of these dates due to potential protests.
Anti-waste incinerator campaigners have previously said there are cheaper, safer ways to dispose of waste in Gloucestershire.
The authority insists it will save taxpayers £100million over the next 25 years.
In January, activists closed the roads outside the site and burned fake money at its main entrance.
A county council spokesman said: “As part of Urbaser Balfour Beatty’s ongoing commissioning process, and before the Energy from Waste facility becomes fully operational later in the summer, the plant will begin receiving and burning some of the county’s residual waste, in line with timings set by UBB.”
“The Energy from Waste facility will efficiently combust 190,000 tonnes of waste a year – providing electricity to power the equivalent of 25,000 homes. The facility is still value for money – and will save taxpayers £100 million over the next 25 years.”
In December, it was revealed the incinerator will cost at least £102million more than the £500million expected when negotiations began five years ago.