Stroud’s decorated arches a century ago, with local historian Howard Beard.
THE County Agricultural Show visited Stroud on several occasions a century or so ago.
The events best recorded by local photographers were those of 1907 and 1912.
Although the show itself took place at Stratford Park, the whole town was decorated by local tradesmen, the most spectacular part of their efforts resulting in the construction and embellishment of five arches built across Stroud streets.
The one in King Street was constructed by Philip Ford’s firm and consisted of painted panels showing scenes of ploughing, sowing and reaping.
The pictures reproduced here were all issued as postcards by Henry Comley, a predecessor of Peckham’s firm located in Russell Street.